Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Final Touches

Why is adding the label so hard?
Betty's Quilt -
Chippers, Cats, Camping & Beer


I'm ready to get started on my next projects but there are three quilts that still need labels.  I still need to get the labels on the quilts for Audrey and Betty before I can deliver them. 

And the quilt for Doris has been done for literally YEARS but still has no label.  Well, OK, I know why Doris' quilt doesnt' have a label, it's because I just can't bare to part with it!
 
So maybe that's what's really going on with me and labels.  Putting the label on means giving the quilt away.  No matter how much I want to give my quilts away, each one is a labor of love and parting can be such sweet sorrow.



 

Audrey's Quilt - A Day At The Beach
I did manage to get a label on the baby quilt for Trevor.  I had hoped to get to meet him and see the rest of his family last weekend at his Uncle George's BBQ but they had a break out of the chicken pox and couldn't attend.  That's fine, I'm good with waiting until the childhood illnesses are fewer and further between!  I delivered the quilt to his Uncle George who passed it along to Trevor's Grandmother.  Slowly but surely it's making it's way to its new home.

I debated long and hard about what kind of label to put on a baby quilt.  I'm not a fan of the big white patch with lots of writing stuck to the back of a quilt.  I understand the reasoning behind it, documenting the details, but I don't care for the look of it.  Besides, I make my quilts in hopes that people with USE them.  So if that's the case, I don't expect them to survive for long, especially in the case of a baby quilt. 

I finally concluded that writing directly on the back of this quilt with a permanent marker would be just the ticket.  Nothing to come unstitched and fall off in the laundry.  The picture isn't the best but you get the idea.  I followed the quilting lines and added the appropriate info; his name, the date, and my name.  Enough said.

So I've set a goal for myself to get the other three labels done before moving on to the three new projects waiting in the wings.  I have bigger plans for these labels than this one.  You'll be the first to know what's happening as I finish up!  Then they will all be ready to wrap up and give to their intended owners, even Apple Blossoms for Doris.




Thanks for visiting!

No comments: