I thought I had just the right mix of darks, lights, solids, and prints to go with the "Coffee" theme fabric.
I hemmed and hawed over the pattern for the past few weeks and still haven't fully settled on one. I've narrowed it down to three, here's why.
Pattern # 3 is Winterberries by Michele Crawford. This one seemed good when I first saw it but I'm liking it less for this project and more for a Christmas Quilt for me ;-)
I spent considerable time on Sunday auditioning these three patterns and still didn't make a decision. However, I did get to try a new technique - tube quilting. I had seen this tutorial on Missouri Star Quilt Company. It was amazing to see it done and a hoot when I tried it! She did hers with two strips sewn together then combined with a third strip to get a sort of "string" pieced block.
I just used two strips and came out with half square triangles. It took me a couple of tries to get the measurements right but it was so fast I don't think I'll ever make them the old way again. Or you can try it this way, using two charm squares to get 4 half square triangles. One word of caution, the cuts are on the bias so you have to be careful when pressing. I starched the tube when I pressed it to help keep everything stable before cutting. Give it a try you'll love it!
I'll be giving the "Coffee" quilt another try tomorrow night. Stay tuned.