Friday, December 16, 2011

Chocolate Pillow Covers

I had just two blocks left after making the Box of Chocolates quilt top.  These are actually the original two blocks I made when I was trying out the colors with the pattern.



  I couldn't let them go to waste and didn't want to have to store them so I decided to make pillow covers.  To match the quilt I added two borders.  First a 1 3/4" strip of cream, then a 4" strip of the chocolate brown.



You can kind of see in the picture that the cream borders are a different shade from the cream I used in the block.  I actually dug up the original cream fabric and planned to use that but ended up cutting the cream I used in the quilt instead.  Once I had cut the strips I figured it would help to make them look more like they belonged together with each other and the quilt so I just went with it.

I think they came out pretty nice.  I'm going to bring them with me to the long arm quilter when I bring the top and see if she can do the same kind of quilting on all three pieces.  If not then I may just use them to try hand quilting for the first time. 

Now I'm ready to start the next project.  I should be working on the last two quilts for The Girls but the fabric hasn't arrived yet so I've got something else up my sleeve.  My sister was looking for a pattern for a baby quilt.  I came across this one in one of the latest issues of Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting.  


It's snowballs and nine patches.  I just love the colors. I rummaged around in my stash and found all the fabrics I need so I've decided to see if I can make as a sample to show her! 

Stay tuned for more on the baby quilt . . . mine and Dutchy's.

No comments: