Monday, October 3, 2011

Still Too Hot To Quilt - Looking For Inspiration

I just love starting something new!  I had hoped the hottest summer weather was behind us because I'm itching to get started on my next quilt.  That first taste of fall in the beginning of September really got me motivated to quilt.  Then the little stretch of "Indian Summer" we had last week left me wilted again.  So I turned to my favorite alternative to actually sewing and that's THINKING about sewing!




Usually I find choosing just the right pattern to be as much fun as picking the fabrics.  I love leafing though the books and magazines I keep in my sewing room.  You can see from the picture that it gets pretty messy when I start getting "inspired"!  I also enjoy going on-line and checking out other blogs and quilting sites to see what other folks are doing.  Attending quilt shows is another way to get inspired.  I attended two quilt shows in August so my mind is in overdrive.  Here's some close ups of some inspirations.

Piled on the table,
and on my chair and in the basket

Here's an audition for a sports fabric inspiration

 
and one for a coffee panel fabric inspiration.
Choosing a pattern for a quilt is fun and challenging.  Many people leave this decision to others.  They simply see something they like and buy the whole thing as a kit.  I rarely ever buy kits and if I do they are small projects with specialty fabrics that I don't have in my stash. But, sometimes a kit is the right way to go for me too.  It certainly speeds up the process since I fuss over choosing fabrics for ages.

For example, I saw this beautiful "Rachel's Basket" quilt kit all made up at a Knight's quilt shop in Maine and fell in love with it.  The picture doesn't do justice to the colors.  There was something about it that just spoke to me.  The tiny floral, the soft colors, something seemed so familiar . . . but instead of buying the kit I bought some of the fabrics that were featured in the quilt thinking that would satisfy me.  On the ride home I was kicking myself for not buying the kit right then and there.



After I got home I put the fabrics I'd purchased into the laundry hamper so they could be washed.  Again I got that same "familiar" feeling.  Like I'd seen this white with the rose buds before.  You know that feeling?  The one that makes you go to your stash and just stare at it? 

Sure enough, I already had 3 yards of that beautiful white fabric with the tiny rosebuds in my stash!  Then I remembered.  I had purchased it in Denver CO while I was there on a business trip.  It was intended for the background of a different quilt (one with watermelons) that I was planning to make for myself.  Here's a close up of the fabrics I bought in Maine that day.  The one in the upper right is the one I'd already bought.




Looking at the fabric again reminded me of that beautiful Rachel's Basket quilt.  I just couldn't get it out of my mind.  Adding it to my wish list wasn't enough.  I REALLY wante to make this quilt.  Not as a gift, not to try out a new technique, but just for me because I love it.  And I obviously love that fabric since I'd already purchased it for another quilt just for me

The more I thought about it the more I worried that the fabrics would be discontinued and I might never be able to buy them!  Then what!  Well, I finally broke down, went on-line to purchase it from the Marti Mitchell web site.


I have to tell you I've never before experienced that sense of urgency when it comes to fabric.  Realistically I know that there will always be beautiful fabrics to purchase and wonderful quilts to make but somehow this one just pulled at me and wouldn't let go.  When the kit arrived in the mail I was thrill and relieved!  I now have it safely tucked away in the sewing room where I can see it often and day dream about making it.

But before I can get to quilts for me, I've got 3 more Quilts for The Girls that need to get finished.  I'm working on them, and the blog posts, but I don't want to spoil the surprise so I can't post until they get delivered :-)

1 comment:

Minka said...

Rachel's Basket is very pretty! I DO know that feeling of worrying that a fabric will not be available when I figure out what I want to do with it.